Thursday, October 21, 2010

38 (and 1/2) weeks

Today I had my 38 week appointment. Not much has changed. Still dilated 2 cm. Baby still pretty high/hasn't dropped (though she said this happens later & closer to delivery on second babies.....). I've now gone from thinking the baby might be a little early, to thinking nope, probably gonna be late! Pessimism setting in about that! Or maybe I just want to start prepping for the late option - that way, it will be a nice surprise if it comes even just a tiny bit early!

In light of not much other news on the baby front, I wanted to write down some of the differences of this pregnancy......some I may have mentioned early on in the pregnancy, but some are newer revelations.
  • Weight gain - actually this is about the same. Looks like I will top out around 35 lbs gained - the high end of the recommendation. But I haven't barely gained anything in the last 3-4 weeks. Like a pound or two. I tend to gain ALOT in the 2nd and slow down significantly at the end.
  • Swelling - almost none at ALL. This is really surprising. I was VERY swollen the first go around. And pretty early, like from the end of 2nd/very beginning of the 3rd tri. This time, I'm still wearing my wedding ring and I'm just over a week from the due date.
  • Baby has consistently had a lower heart rate the entire way (Mackenzie's was higher). Old wives tales say that says boy, but this is not a reliable system, so it's probably a girl with a lower heart rate!
  • Baby seems bigger. Has been pressing on my bladder WAY more than last time. Sometimes I will just go to the bathroom and still feel like I need to go. Which could mean it's just lower (boy?) but I've also had a tiny bit of heartburn & had none with Mackenzie. That means it's pressing on the stomach I think, which means it's higher (girl?) So, if it seems both higher & lower, I'm guessing maybe it's just BIGGER! The doctor did say today that I'm measuring closer to average size belly this time, so it may be a bit bigger. I'm expecting to break into the 7lb area this time :) Not big really, but bigger for a 5 ft tall girl!
That's all I can think of right now. I'm proud to say that I finally got my bag (mostly) packed this week & Mackenzie's bag. We're (more or less) ready for baby #2. And I'm now VERY interested in finding out the sex. Didn't bother me much the whole time not to know, but now I'm READY TO KNOW!

And so, we wait.......

1 comment:

  1. You look great!

    Our friends didn't find out what they were having, either and I just don't have the patience for that! I literally want to know the very week that the gender can be determined :)

    ReplyDelete