Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Patience.....Can I Have Some of That?

Lately, Mackenzie has been going through a bit of a whiny/fussy/tantrumy phase, that I could really live without right about now! These things come in waves I feel, we'll have a few tough weeks and then get back to life with a generally happy toddler. I can't help but wonder if she is doing this because she recognizes the changes that are coming very soon in our household.

For instance, she is VERY clingy right now. She wants me to hold her ALL the time it seems and cries/pitches a fit if I ask her to walk and hold my hand instead (the nerve of me, huh!?) Right now at 38.5 weeks pregnant, there are many times that I'm just not up for carrying my almost 25 lb toddler. I fear this will be our biggest challenge with the new baby. I think she will like the baby, but when I hold the baby & NOT her.....well I'm not picturing that to go over so well......

We also had a rough afternoon. I was so excited to start her new school with a clean behavior slate. When I picked her up last week, the teachers just loved her and said how sweet she was. It was nice to hear given our previous schooling experiences...... Well, that didn't last long. After many months of not biting, she decided to give it a go again today. Great. So much for a clean slate. Back to the drawing board of praying for good behavior while I'm away & giving rewards for good reports.......

That report left me with less than a
normal amount of patience when we got home. We had some struggles - like after behaving really well & cleaning up her playroom I decide to give her a rare treat - candy corn for good cleaning. After eating the handful, she pitched a fit because they were gone & I told her we're done for now. Tantrums ensued. Mommy reacting a little more angrily in putting her in time out. It wasn't fun. But we both (some are still taking) took naps. Hoping for a better evening. But really, more patience is going to be so hard to muster in a few weeks with minimal sleep I'm afraid :(

On a fun note - I've included a few shots from a little while ago of her playing in our new BIG backyard!

1 comment:

  1. She definitely senses the new baby brother or sister is coming. Lily did the EXACT same thing with the clinginess and tantrums. Go easy on yourself. It's very hard finding the energy to deal with a toddler when you're 9 months pregnant.

    We are having sibling jealousy issues and they are hard, but they're getting better already.

    Hang in there! I can't wait to hear whether M is getting a baby brother or sister!!!

    ReplyDelete